We now accept Middle Grade submissions!
Junior Fiction and Middle Grade submissions are OPEN.
How to Submit
To help you with the submissions process we have put some guidelines for your submission. To have a look at our current junior fiction/middle grade titles, click here. Please read through carefully before sending us your submission. Anything that is vastly different to the guidelines will not be read.
- Word counts between 6,000 – 18,000 words for junior fiction and between 18,000 – 55,000 for middle grade.
- Aimed at the age groups of 7 – 10 years for junior fiction and 8 – 12 years for middle grade.
- Manuscripts must be submitted either as a PDF or in a Word/Rich Text document. We will not read submissions that are on an external links/websites or on a dropbox.
- You can submit a synopsis and a sample chapter if your story is not yet finished, however we would ask that the synopsis is quite detailed. Please include the ending for all synopses – which includes any spoilers!
- Double line spacing, typed in a legible font, text running from one page to another (i.e. not one sentence/stanza per page). WRITING EVERYTHING IN CAPS IS NOT FRIENDLY!
- File size no bigger than 5mb.
- In the subject heading of your email please include your name and the title of the text.
- Email submissions only.
N.b. Hurrah! We do accept unsolicited manuscripts.
- If submitting multiple manuscripts, please put them all in the same email.
- We are looking for something a little bit quirky… we are called Maverick! Sweet stories about fluffy kittens and lost puppies are just not our thing – sorry.
- Something with series potential is a bonus.
- A short cover letter with some information about yourself e.g. location, job and whether you are already published.
- Your name on the email (you would be amazed how many people forget to put a name!).
- It looks better if you send your own submission, unless it is being sent on your behalf by an agent.
N.b. At Maverick we are looking for proactive authors, who want to go out and about doing events etc. It is also important for us that you write lots and really, really, really want to be an author.
(If the button doesn’t work, then email: m a n u s c r i p t s @maverickbooks.co.uk, without the spaces
– this is to prevent the pesky web robots from sending us spam)
This is a different email to the picture book submissions. Please make sure you are sending to the correct email. For information on picture book submissions, click here.
Current Response Time:
Please allow 6 months before enquiring about a response to a submission then please enquire through the enquiry form.
If you have any questions about submitting then please use the submissions enquiry form. Do not email questions to the submissions email, they will get lost in the queue!